Roberts

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blog Boredom

I really want to design my own blog... I just don't really have the time to learn how to do it. This will be one of my summer projects I think. Until then, I guess we will have to stick to this.

In other news, I've been having a lot of really good conversations lately with some really neat people. I love having friends that I can trust. Trust has always been a hard thing for me to give because of how vulnerable it can make you. It is like putting a bit of your soul in someone's hand. They could easily crush it or drop it on the floor where strangers could stomp on it. Luckily, I have friends that protect that bit of myself that I have entrusted to them.

Why are we so judgmental? I mean, in a society full of the notion of taboos and political correctness, I guess it is really hard not to be. Sometimes I feel like we all just need to cut the crap and be honest with ourselves. We all carry these secrets that vary in scale of shock value. We lock them up in a lead box that we haul around on our backs because we are so afraid that if someone sees what is inside we will be abandoned. The truth is, it would be much more healthy if we could talk openly about the things that haunt us without fear of being judged. I think we'd be surprised to find that the stranger next to us is carrying a very similar secret.

This is one reason I really like Post Secret's blog. I really should buy one of their books. It is also one reason that, for the most part, I am not impressed with the Hopefully Mormon blog. I mean, I guess that the blog is nice... but it is too full of that "all-is-well" stage face that we all put on. Give it to me straight. I want it all in raw form. I want to hear how people like me struggle on the inside. I feel that hearing about how someone struggles, but still manages to stay above water and hope for a brighter day is much more telling then phrases like "God is all around us." I mean, that's wonderful... but what about the majority of people who struggle to see that? What about people who struggle everyday to feel that, but every once in awhile they have a small experience where they felt God around them for those few seconds that give them the courage to press on? I want to hear those stories.

1 comment:

tbone said...

I have to agree. Hopefully Mormon is a little to sweet...to the point of gagging.